The OpenOCD 0.2.0 source archive release includes numerous improvements
that were made since the initial 0.1.0 source archive release. Many
contributors helped make this release a great success, and the community
of developers and maintainers look forward to any response.
In addition to the list of changes below, countless bug fixing and
cleaning was performed across the tree. Various TCL command parameters
must past stricter value checks, and many more error conditions have
been handled correctly. These efforts helped to make the 0.2.0 release
more stable and robust, though some changes may expose latent bugs in
your existing configuration scripts.
This release does not maintain backward compatibility in all respects,
so some target or configuration scripts may need to be updated. In some
cases, you may also see warnings; resolve those, because they indicate
commands that will be removed in the future.
The following areas of OpenOCD functionality changed in this release:
- Improves modularity: core, TCL, driver commands, and interface have
been separated, encapsulated, and documented for developers. Mostly.
- Improves JTAG TAP transition tables:
* Makes TAP paths variable length, rather than being fixed at 7 steps.
* Fixes problems with some targets that did not like longer paths.
- Improves JTAG driver/minidriver modularity and encapsulation.
- New drivers:
* Adds stub minidriver for developing new embedded JTAG interfaces.
- Improves drivers:
+ Adds initial high-speed device support: --enable-ftd2xx-highspeed
+ Supports more types of FTDI-based devices.
+ Works with more versions of the firmware (v3 and newer)
+ Supports dynamically detects device capabilities and limits
+ Supports very long scan chains
+ Fixes broken ID code detection problems.
- New devices: AVR, FA526
- Improved support: ARM ADI, ARM11, MIPS
- Numerous other bug fixes and improvements
- Improved drivers: mflash
- New drivers: AT91SAM3, AVR, Davinci NAND
Board, Interface, and Target Configuration Scripts:
- Many new and improved targets and boards are now available.
- Better separation of "board" and "target" configuration
- Moved all TCL files to top-level "tcl" directory in the source tree
- Installation moved from '$pkglibdir/' to '$pkgdatadir/scripts/'.
- Site-specific files should be installed under '$pkgdatadir/site/';
files that exist this tree will be used in preference to default
distribution configurations in '$pkgdatadir/scripts/'.
- Updated User Guide: http://openocd.berlios.de/doc/html/index.html
* Partially re-written and re-organized.
* Standardized presentation for all commands.
* Covers many drivers and commands that were previously omitted.
* New index for commands and drivers.
- Added Developer Manual: http://openocd.berlios.de/doc/doxygen/index.html
* Now includes architecture, technical primers, style guides, and more.
* Available in-tree and on-line.
Build and Release:
- Increased configuration and compilation warning coverage.
* Use --disable-werror to work around build errors caused by warnings.
- Use libtool to produce helper libraries as a step toward "libopenocd".
- New processes and scripting to facilitate future source releases.
For more details about what has changed since 0.1.0, see the ChangeLog
associated with this release.
For more information about contributing test reports, bug fixes, or new
features and device support, please read the new Developer Manual (or
the BUGS and PATCHES files in the source archive).